Top current affairs of 2nd January 2015 in news and daily GK updates are given below.
National scene 2nd January 2015
1. Newly appointed US ambassador to India Richard Rahul Verma arrived at delhi.
i) Friday on 2nd January 2015 US ambassador to India arrived at New Delhi.
ii) Last month (on 20th december 2014) he sworn in as the US envoy to India. With this he became the first Indian-American US envoy to India.
iii) Mr. Verma will continue the embassy’s work in advancing the U.S.-India strategic partnership, said a communiqué from the mission.
Source : The Hindu
Business diary 2nd January 2015
2. Bharat Forge acquired France based Mecanique Generale Langroise.
i) Bharat Forge is an Auto component maker of India. Its headquarter is located in Pune, Maharastra.
ii) CDP Bharat Forge GmbH the German subsidiary of the Pune based firm acquired the France based Mecanique Generale Langroise (MGL).
iii) The deal was worth $11.8 million (Rs. 90 crore).
International Affairs 2nd January 2015
3. Five new countries inducted into UN security council (UNSC) as non permanent members.
i) These 5 countries are Angola, Malaysia, Newzealand, Venezuela and Spain. These nations are appointed for 2 years.
ii) The above mentioned countries replaced the following countries Argentina, Australia, Luxembourg, SouthKorea and Rwanda.
iii) Every year 5 non permanent members are chosen to work with five permanent and veto weilding members. The permanent members are Britain, China, France, Russia and US.
4. Arvind Panagariya was appointed as vice chairperson of NITI Ayog.
i) Mr. Panagariya is a noted economist. He was appointed as vice chairman of NITI Ayog on 2nd January 2015.
ii) Chief minister and Lt. governers are to be included in the governing council of NITI Ayog.
5. M. Sathiyavati appointed new director general of DGCA.
i) She became the first woman director general of DGCA.
ii) Ms. Sathiyavathi is an 1982 batch UT cadre IAS officer, will serve until 28th January 2017.
iii) She will succeed Prabhat Kumar.
6. RBI’s recomendation to bifurcate the position of MD and CEO of Public Sector Banks comes into effect. Four new MD and CEO were appointed.
New MD and CEO of the 4 banks are given below
Oriental bank of commerce – Animesh Chauhan
Vijaya Bank – Kishore Kumar Sansi
United bank of India – P. Srinivas
Indian Overseas bank – R. Koteeswaran