Important current affairs of 26th december 2014 are given below.
National scene 26th december
1. Raghubar Das sworn in as 10th chief minister of Jharkhand.
* Senior BJP leader Raghubar Das became the 10th chief minister of Jharkhand.
* He became the first non tribal chief minister of the state.
2. “Welcome card” launched by Tourism ministry.
* New helpline no-1800-111-363 for tourists and “welcome card” for foreign visitors was launched on 26th december 2014 by tourism minister Mahesh Sharma.
* A tourist (domestic/foreigner) can call the number from anywhere now if he or she wants to lodge any complaint or know about any particular tourism site, said the official.
3. Mission Indradhanush launched by health minister JP Nadda.
* This program aims to cover all un-vaccinated or partially vaccinated children by the year 2020.
* The diseases that come under the mission are diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, polio, tuberculosis, measles and hepatitis B.
4. Trevor Bull was appointed MD and CEO of Aviva life insurance.
* On 26th December 2014 he was appointed as the CEO and MD of Aviva India Life Insurance Ltd.
* He succeeded TR Ramachandran will take charge of the post from January 2015.
5. 10th anniversary of Tsunami was observed on 26th december 2014.
* On this day in 2004 a 9.1 magnitude earthquake hit the coastal regions of Indian ocean.
* It claimed over 2 lakh precious lives. In Srilanka this day is observed as national safety day.
About the Indian ocean Tsunami 26th december 2004
On 26th december exactly 10 years from today an undersea earthquake ocuured in Indian ocean. Its epicentre was located at the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. Its outcome was so severe that the killer waves almost entirely engulfed the coastal island countries. Tsunami was also known as the Sumatra–Andaman earthquake and it has given various names, such as South Asian tsunami, Indonesian tsunami, the Christmas tsunami and the Boxing Day tsunami.