Important current affairs of 23rd december 2014 are given below.
1. Pravasi Bharatiya Divas event to be hosted by Gujrat.
* While addressing a press conference external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said Gujrat has been chosen to host this year’s event.
* It will mark the 100th year of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa.
* Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
* January 9 was chosen as the day to celebrate this occasion since it was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa, led India’s freedom struggle and changed the lives of Indians forever.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee extended warm greetings to Emperor Akihito on the eve of its national day.
Source – Zeenews
* This holiday is always celebrated on 23 December.
* The birthday of the current emperor is always a national holiday.
* Thus, if the emperor changes, the national holiday will change to the birthday of the new emperor. In 1989, Emperor Akihito became Japan’s 125th emperor.
3. National farmers day observed on 23rd December all over India.
* India celebrates Farmers Day in the memory of Chaudhary Charan Singh, the ex-Prime Minister.
* Chaudhary Charan Singh is credited to formulate and implement the famous Zamindari Abolition Act. Kisan Divas is recognition of his valuable services rendered to the farmers of India.
4. The Committee to look into various grievances relating to the 1984 anti-sikh riots to be headed by Justice GP Mathur.
Obituary 23rd december
5. Tamil director and recipent Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2010) K. Balachander passes away at 84.
* He was credited as the man who made Ramesh Aravind, Prakash Raj, Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth national stars.
* He debuted with his Tamil film ‘Neerkumizhi’ (by adapting his play of the same title) in 1965.
His notable works include ‘Aval Oru Thodarkathai’, (Tamil) which was remade as ‘Anthulaney Katha’ in Telugu, ‘Maro Charitra’ (Telugu), ‘Ek Dhuje Ke Liye’ (Hindi), and ‘Thillu Mullu’ (remake of Golmaal in Hindi).
* On 23rd december he breathed his last in a pvt hospital.
6. Jyotsna Suri appointed as President Federation of Indian chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).