Important current affairs of 20th December 2014 are given below.
National scene 20th December
1. Prakash Mishra was appointed as the new chairperson of CRPF.
* The appointments committee of the Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi
appointed Prakash Mishra as the new Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
* Mr. Mishra, is an ex-Odisha police DGP and 1977-batch IPS officer.
International affairs 20th December
2. India ranks 93rd in Forbes list of best nations for business.
* It was the 9th annual ranking of best countries for business released Forbes.
* It has placed India at 93 among 146 countries. Denmark has topped the list.
* Every year Forbes determines the Best Countries for Business by grading 146 nations on 11 different factors such as property rights, innovation, taxes, technology, corruption, freedom (personal, trade and monetary), red tape, investor protection and stock market performance.
3. US-Cuba agreed to end 50 years hostility. Diplomatic relations re-established.
* In a historic development United States and Cuba on 17 December 2014 agreed to restore diplomatic ties that Washington severed more than 50 years ago.
* President Barack Obama called for an end to the long economic embargo against Cuba.
* The US hostage Alan Gross was released by the Cuba Government after the agreement. Alan Gross was accused of being a spy of America and plotting against Cuban. His case was a major obstacle in improving the relation between the two countries.
4. India lifts kabaddi world-cup for the 5th time.
* Both men and women Kabaddi teams of India have won the title of the 5th World Cup Kabaddi Tournament by winning their respective matches in the final on 20th december 2014.
* Men team defeated Pakistan where as women team defeated Newzealand.
5. Atletico-de-Kolkata won the inugural season of Indian super league (ISL).
* Atletico-de-Kolkata beat Kerala Blasters 1-0 in the finals at DY Patil stadium, Maharashtra. Mohammad Rafique scored the winning goal from the team.
* The Golden boot award for scoring highest no. Of goals in ISL-Elano Blumer (brazilian) – Chennaiyan FC with 8 goals.