Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award 2014 was declared on 26th september. Ten eminent scientists were chosen this year for this prestigeous prize.
Winners of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award 2014
1. Biological Sciences – Dr. Roop Mallik, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai).
2. Chemical Sciences – Dr. Kavirayani Ramakrishna Prasad, Indian Institute of Science (Bengaluru) and Dr. Souvik Maiti of Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB), New Delhi.
3. Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences – Dr. Sachchida Nand Tripathi of IIT, Kanpur.
4. Engineering Sciences – Dr. S Venkata Mohan of Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT), Hyderabad and Dr Soumen Chakrabartiof IIT, Mumbai.
5. Mathematical Sciences – Dr. Kaushal Kumar Verma of Indian Institute of Science (Bengaluru).
6. Medical Sciences – Dr. Anurag Agrawal of Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB), New Delhi.
7. Physical Sciences – Dr. Pratap Raychaudhuri of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai) and Dr. Sadiqali Abbas Rangwala of Raman Research Institute (Bengaluru).
Quick facts about the award
• Named after late Dr. Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar.
• This is given anually to recognise the work of Indian scientists for their contribution in the field of research. It is declared on every 26th sept – foundation day of Concil of Scientific and industrial research (CSIR).
• 72nd foundation day of CSIR was marked by Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award 2014.
• Awarded in the fields of Biological science, Chemical science, Mathematical science, Medical science, Physical science, Environmental science and Engineering science.
• It is given by CSIR (Council of scientific and industrial research)
• It comprises citation, a plaque and a cash award of Rs. 5lakh. Awardees will get Rs. 15000 per month upto 65 years.
Dr. Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar was a noted Indian scientist known for his contribution to Industrial chemistry. He was the founder of CSIR. After his death on 1st Jan 1955, CSIR decided to honor him by naming this prize after his name.
• Given to young Indian scientists and engineers (up to 45 years) for their Research & Development work done during the five years preceding the year of the prize in India.
Apart from The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award 2014 two more awards namely “CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2014” and “2103 awards for scientific and technological innovation for rural development” were also announced.