About the Award
Considered as the nobel prize of Asia, it is named after the former Phillipines president Ramon Magasaysay. To remember his integrity in government, courageous service to people within a democratic society this award is given every year. The “Ramon Magasaysay award foundation” honours those persons having outstanding contribution to the society. Started in 1958 it is given in following six categories.
1. Government service
2. Public service
3. Community leadership
4. Journalism and literature
5. Peace and international understanding
6. Emergent leadership
Winners of Ramon Magasaysay award 2014
The list of awardees included six winners among five individuals and one organization from Pakistan.
1. Hu Shuli (China)-Investivative journalist
The founder and former editor of the business magazine named “Cajing”. This magazine unearthed the corrupt practices adopted by high level officials and later oustering them from the system. It had a profound impact on china.
2. Saur Marlina Manurung(Indonesia)-Education Activist
She was the initiator of jungle school program. It improved the lives of Indonesia’s forest people Orang Rimba.
3. Omara Khan Masoudi(Afganistan)-Efforts in preserving Afgan cultural heritage
He risked his life to protect cultural treasures from the Taliban’s assault during 1990s.
4. The Citizens Foundations (NGOof Pakistan)-Helping highschool dropouts
They are recognised for building over 1000 schools in Pakistan for the high school dropouts.
5. Wang Canfa(China)-A Professor who provided free legal service to thousands of people and provided environmental law training to lawers and others.
6. Randy Halsan (Phillipines)
For his selfless service in providing education to Mastigsalug tribes. It is one of the remotest villages of Mindanao.
Who was Ramon magasaysay ?
Ramon Magsaysay Award was the former President of Philippines. He was well-loved for his simplicity and humility, his passion for justice, particularly for the poor, and his advancement of human dignity. But he lost his life in a plane crash in 1957.